The Pioneer Log Cabin, located on the grounds of the North Lanark Regional Museum, has been a popular tourist destination for many years.
The cabin has not only local historical importance, but is architecturally an excellent example of a rough-hewn log cottage-style settler’s home. The construction is typical of log homes found across the Ottawa Valley in the early half of the 19th century.
The cabin was eventually closed owing to its state of disrepair and accessibility issues. Major repairs were required to preserve the exterior and to maintain the cabin and its contents in a safe condition.
Through the generosity of a community that has responded in earnest to our fundraising campaign, we have successfully raised the building off the ground and placed it on new footings, repaired some exterior logs, and re-chinked and resealed areas between the logs. We have also been able to complete significant repairs to the attached side shed, install new doors, and clean the interior to provide better and safer artefact display. It reopened in July, 2022.
But there is still work to be done to complete this project. The North Lanark Historical Society plans to build a third external building to complement the existing pioneer cabin. This third building will be used as a display area for large agricultural tools and machines currently housed in the North Lanark Regional Museum collection, many of which had temporary homes inside the pioneer log cabin.
The cabin was originally built circa 1840 on Lot 15 Concession 11 of Ramsay (near the present Almonte Roundabout), by the William Wylie Family who resided on that lot from 1837 to 1853. The building was also owned by the Lockhart Family for several generations, and finally by the Thurston Family. It was donated to the North Lanark Historical Society in 1983 by Don and Britt Thurston and moved to its current location. The historical society set up a committee in 1983 to oversee the cabin project, with members Grant Anderson, Helen Davidson, Stewart Drummond, Ernie Giles, Victor Kellough, Dawn Leduc, Frances McLean, Norman Paul, Jean Steel and Gerry Willard. Stones for the fireplace and chimney came from the local Don Duncan farm. The cabin was rebuilt over the next two years with funds from a New Horizons Grant and volunteer labour from the NLHS. It opened as part of the museum in the summer of 1985 and has since been a popular attraction for visitors of all ages.
All donations will be recognized and issued a charitable tax receipt. Donations may be sent to the NHLS by regular mail or you can donate online electronically.
Donations can be made online or by cash or cheque in-person at the Museum or by mail:
North Lanark Regional Museum
P.O. Box 218
Cheques can be made payable to the North Lanark Historical Society
For more information about this project, call 613-257-8503 or email email@example.com